Sunday, February 28, 2021

NC SU Demos Blog Hop - Shake, Rattle & Roll

 

 Hi Stampers! Welcome to the February NC SU Demos blog hop where the theme is Shake, Rattle & Roll. We will all be sharing projects that have some sort of movement. I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing the variety of projects in this month's blog hop. If you are following through the hop, you probably just came from Joanne's blog. Wasn't her project fantastic? After you finish reading my post, please leave a comment, and then hit the next blog button to go the next blog in the hop which will be Tina.


Today I have a shaker card to share with you, but it's not the usual type you might be used to. This one uses one of our clear envelopes to create the area for the sequins. I also used the Whale Done bundle, Whale of a Time DSP, and some ribbon.


The Whale of a Time Designer Series Paper (DSP) is so beautiful I wanted to highlight as much of it as I could on each card I made with it. Many of the sheets include really cool looking scenes like the piece used on this card. Tip: Be sure when cutting these scenery pieces that you select the area you want before cutting. In other words, if you want a 4" piece like on this card, don't just lop off 2" from the edge. After you select the area you want, then cut. It might turn out you really do just need to take off 2", but you might need to cut 1" from each side - or some other variation. You can always use the scraps on another project. FYI: the sequins I used are some retired ones I had here when I decided to make the project. It was kind of a pain because I had to pick out colors that didn't coordinate. The Whale of a Time Sequins are the way to go. There's even mini shell shaped ones! One of these days I will learn to just order all the fun embellishments when I order the bundle.

To make the shaker part of the card, all I did was slide my 4" x 5.25" piece of DSP into a clear envelope and slide it down into the corner. I added some sequins and then folded the envelope over as far as a could and sealed it. Then I folded over the side that was wider than the DSP and adhered it on the back with Stampin' Seal+ so that the DSP and sequins were wrapped by the envelope. Tips: 1) You want your envelope tight enough so that the sequins don't end up shaking around to the back of the card but you want just a little slack for the sequins to have room to move. 2) You may have some issues with static. I gently rubbed my Embossing Buddy inside the envelope before adding the DSP and sequins. If you do this, be careful not to get creases in your envelope. I still had some static, but I found that after the card sat for a while the static dissipated and the sequins could move.

After the shaker part was done I attached it to the card base with Stampin' Seal+. I used Granny Apple Green for the card base because it's bright and cheery and really pulls out some of the colors in the DSP.

The whale was stamped with Basic Gray and then punched out. The sentiment is stamped with Calypso Coral and I sponged the edge of the square with Granny Apply Green ink. The ribbon was just folded over back and forth before putting the sentiment over it with Stampin' Dimensionals to pop it up. I like how it turned out looking like a bow. The ribbon is a former Sale-a-bration (SAB) choice but you could find a current current to substitute. But see, that's why you want to stock up on SAB items when you can get them. They are only available that short time but have uses long after SAB ends. Speaking of which, this is the last day to get in on the current SAB offerings. Free item with each $50 purchase (before shipping and tax). Other freebies for orders over $300 and joining Stampin' Up! If you don't already have a demonstrator, please select me as your demonstrator when you check out. Or if you'd like to join, I'd love to have you on my team. Check them out here. This link will open a new window so you can still come back and finish the blog hop.


Here's how I finished off the inside. Happy Birthday is from the Happy Thoughts stamp set.



I hope you enjoyed my post and will be inspired to try one of these simple shaker cards. Now it's time to head to Tina's blog and see the terrific movement project she has for you.



This month's participants:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute cards

Tracie Evans Langley said...

Great card, Sue! My team and I are a little obsessed with making this type of shaker card. Thank you for sharing!

Sharon said...

Love that card. I have not made a card using the clear envelopes but it sounds much easier! I will be trying that method soon. Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Does this make the whole front a shaker? That is so cool, I must try this!

Jo Anne Hewins said...

I love this kind of shaker. Thanks for sharing yours.

Toni Campana said...

Your card is so cute! I love making shaker cards this way now, it’s so easy. And I have to admit, I’ve had this bundle for quite a while and haven’t used it yet 😬. I definitely need to break it out to play!!

Amy said...

I love this set. Stampin' Up! has done it again with a super sweet suite. This one coordinates so well with all the other ocean theme sets we have. I love your card.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...